Android is a software package and linux based operating system for mobile devices such as tablet,computers and smartphones.
It is developed by Google and later the OHA (Open Handset Alliance). Java language is mainly used to write the android code even though other languages can be used.
The goal of android project is to create a successful real-world product that improves the mobile experience for end users.
There are many code names of android such as Nougat, Marshmallow, Lollipop, Kitkat, Jelly Bean, Ice cream Sandwich, Froyo, Ecliar, Donut etc.
The important features of android are given below:
- It is an open-source.
- Anyone can customize the Android Platform.
- There are a lot of mobile applications that can be chosen by the consumer.
- It provides many interesting features like weather details, opening screen, live RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds etc.
It provides support for messaging services(SMS and MMS), web browser, storage (SQLite), connectivity (GSM, CDMA, Blue Tooth, Wi-Fi etc.), media, handset layout etc.
Basically , xml is used for layout designing. All the UI and layout of app is designed using xml.
Apart from these , xml is also used for parsing data either from database or server into your android app.
Android Studio is the official Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for Android app development, based on IntelliJ IDEA . On top of IntelliJ's powerful code editor and developer tools, Android Studio offers even more features that enhance your productivity when building Android apps, such as:
- A flexible Gradle-based build system
- A fast and feature-rich emulator
- An unified environment where you can develop for all Android devices.
- Instant Run to push changes to your running app without building a new APK
- Code templates and GitHub integration to help you build common app features and import sample code
- Extensive testing tools and frameworks
- Lint tools to catch performance, usability, version compatibility and other problems
- C++ and NDK support
- Built-in support for Google Cloud Platform, making it easy to integrate Google Cloud Messaging and App Engine